Pet Travel from the UK - Pet Exports UK Ltd - For pet travel abroad / pet emigration / pet relocation to all parts of the World from London Heathrow and Gatwick - cats and dogs - airport to airport - door to airport - kennelling - veterinary services - export and import documentation

Delighted Dalmation running for the plane


35 Shelson Avenue



TW13 4QS

Tel/Fax:0208 384 5020

Mob:07 460 988 074


Website is best viewed in landscape mode on mobile smartphones - Please enable autorotate if you have previously locked your mobile to portrait only. In order to work out costs, we will need weights and accurate measurements of your pets (sitting vertical height to top of ears and laying length excluding tail).

About Us Countries DEFRA Numbers Pet Travel Scheme

Pet Travel - Frequently asked questions

Pet travel arrangements

Our policy is transportation of your pet with the minimum amount of stress for the animal. This means selecting the most direct air route and keeping the time spent in the pet travel kennel to an absolute minimum.

What animals can we ship?

We export cats and dogs from the UK but can sometimes advise on other types of pet. We do not import but we are able to collect animals imported and cleared under the pet passport scheme from Heathrow only, we can then kennel them on your behalf and either arrange onward flight to other UK airports and also Dublin or deliver them to you by road.

Can our pet travel on the same flight(s) as us?

If you tell us what airline you are using (flight and date) then we can tell you whether it is possible.

Can our pets fly out of our local airport?

Sometimes. Many short haul holiday destinations are served by Manchester, Birmingham, East Midlands, Leeds, Luton, Bournemouth and Cardiff. However, the vast majority of direct Long Haul International flights depart only from London Airports. Pets can be flown from Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle to Heathrow in order to connect with the international flight. This would normally be done on the day prior to the international flight so that your pet does not spend an excessive amount of time in the travel kennel. Please contact us for more information.

What documentation will my pet need?

For the EU most countries just require a microchip and rabies vaccination entered in a pet passport and a veterinary health certificate. If you are considering relocating your pet or pets from the UK to Australia, New Zealand, Singapore South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain or for that matter anywhere else abroad then you will need to contact DEFRA at Carlisle on 01228 403600 (option 1 then option 4). They will inform you of veterinary requirements and documentation. It is also advisable to get in touch with the embassy or consulate for the relevant country in case the regulations have recently changed. In a large number of cases a rabies vaccination is required and this must be done at least 30 days prior to the flight.It is usually helpful to have your pet up to date with inoculations irrespective of whether the country of destination requires them. If your pet needs to spend any time in the cattery or kennels then current vaccinations are a necessity. If you have any doubts please contact us.

Pet Passport

Try not to be misled and badgered into unnecessary expenditure especially if you are not intending to return to the UK. To take your pet out of the country, your pet does not need to have the rabies blood test, however a pet passport showing microchip and rabies vaccination is now required for all EU destinations. In order to use the pet passport to get your pet back to the UK without doing quarantine, a number of factors, other than whether the country is approved, have to be considered. The first is whether an airline is an approved carrier and the second is whether the route you wish to use when returning to the UK is approved. More information is provided on the DEFRA (Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) website pet travel scheme which gives all current information on quarantine and the pet travel scheme (PETS) including participating countries, routes and airlines.

Do I have to use a special vet?

This is dependent on the country that you are moving to but generally the vet has to be an LVI or OV (DEFRA approved Local Veterinary Inspector or Official Vet). DEFRA (Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) will inform you of a local LVI/OV should you need assistance.

Where will my pet be located in the aircraft?

They travel in the cargo hold of the aircraft. The hold is heated, pressurised and dark. This will keep your pet calm and most will settle down and sleep once the aircraft is in the air.

Will my pet have enough room?

Once we are given measurements of your dog/dogs then we can build the correct size IATA (International Air Transport Association) approved pet travel kennels. We will construct the pet travel kennel so that your pet has enough room to travel comfortably. Your pet will be able to lie down comfortably and also be able to sit up and turn around.

We have our own travel kennel(s). Can we use them?

The plastic pet travel kennels on sale in this country do not always conform to the current requirements (some do not have the correct ventilation at the back even though they are sold as IATA approved travel kennels - when they were designed they met the regulations then in force and the regulations have since changed). Certain Websites or shops will sell them as being of a suitable size for a particular breed and this cannot be relied on. They also have a tendency to deform and spring open when put under pressure so most airlines are wary of them particularly with larger animals (dogs over 25 Kg). Similarly if your pet originally arrived in this country in a kennel, this may not meet the current requirements. Your pet may also have outgrown it or it was originally too small (although other countries have the same rules for kennel size, they are not necessarily as rigorously enforced as in the UK). In order to determine whether the size is sufficient we would need measurements of both the air kennel and the animal involved.

Should our pet be sedated?

Categorically No - the airlines will refuse any animal that seems to have been sedated. Aircraft are pressurised at between two thirds and three quarters of normal sea level atmospheric pressure, this lowers the blood pressure of both humans and animals. Sedatives generally work by lowering blood pressure (and consequently the uptake of oxygen) so the combined effect could be detrimental to the well being of your pet.

Feeding and watering?

For their own comfort it is advised that they are fed only lightly the day prior to travel and not fed at all on the day of the flight in order to travel as empty of food as possible. Animals are not fed during the flight but do have access to water. The airline will provide water immediately before being loaded onto the aircraft.

Is there any access to my pets in flight?

Neither passengers nor crew has access to the cargo hold during the flight and you will not have access to your pet at any refuelling point.

Can my pet have toys in the box?

Not advisable as the airlines feel that there is a possibility that they will be swallowed and may choke the animal, however a familiar item of clothing or blanket is ok. Collars must also be removed before your pet is put in the travel kennel.

Last updated 30/05/2018

Pet Exports UK Ltd. Reg. Office: 55 Staines Road West Sunbury-on-Thames Middlesex TW16 7AH Reg. No. 6972937 VAT no. 974 4867 62

Copyright 2009 - 2018 Pet Exports UK Ltd. All rights reserved.